The Patient's (and Family's) Role in Chronic Condition Management
Education, planning, regular checkups, appropriate treatments and medications are the keys to controlling the chronic condition.
In a recent article by Laura Landro of the Wall Street Journal entitled, Patients Can Play a Big Role in Controlling Chronic Ailments, several key conclusions include:
- Patients can't turn back the clock, but they can buy time by closely following doctors and care-givers recommended plans.
- Strictly following plans allows the patient to ward off other conditions, like depression.
- If patients (and their families) are active in their own care, outcomes are improved.
- Careful attention to lifestyle risk factors can make a difference. For example, to protect against kidney disease, eating less salt, drinking less alcohol and keeping blood pressure under control are critical measures to take each day.
- Small changes such as moderate exercise will help to slow the progression of chronic conditions or diseases.
Call us for a free consultation at 585-586-4530 about our RiskPro Health Coaching resources and teams.